Middle East Technical University
06800, Ankara, Turkey
|2013||PhD||University of Edinburgh, Institute for Energy Systems|
|Thesis Title: Superconducting Generators for Large Offshore Wind Turbines|
|2008||MSc||Middle East Technical University,|
|Thesis Title: A Non-Invasive Speed and Position Sensor for Induction Machines Using External Search Coils|
|2005||BSc||Middle East Technical University,|
|2014–||Assistant Professor||Electrical-Electronics Engineering, METU|
|2011–2014||Research Associate||Institute for Energy Systems, University of Edinburgh|
|2010–2012||Electrical Machine Design Consultant||NGenTec, Edinburgh|
|2009–2010||Research Associate||Institute for Energy Systems, University of Edinburgh|
|2005-2009||Research Assistant||Middle East Technical University|
Advisor to Dean, (2014-Present)
METU-Wind Center, Member of the Executive Board
Design Factory, Member of the Executive Board
Associate Editor, IET Renewable Power Generation
Rapporteur, EU Cost Action
|Reviews for||IET Renewable Power Generation Journal|
|IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics|
|IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity|
|IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics|
|IEEE International Conference on Electrical Machines and Drives|
|IET Power Electronics, Machines and Drives Conference|
|IEEE International Conference on Electrical Machines|
My main area of interests are renewable energy, design of electric machines, and power electronics. In particular, I am working on novel drive-train concepts for wind energy such as high-temperature superconducting machines and direct-drive generators. I am also interested in modular and fault-tolerant electrical machines.
Research Experience & Projects
For more details please visit the my projects page.
|2017||ASELSAN MW Wind Turbine||Feasibility analysis and design of a MW sized direct-drive wind turbine generator.|
|2016-2017||ASELSAN Rail-Gun Project||Electromagnetic Design and Optimization of a 200kJ-2MJ Electromagnetic Launcher.|
|2016||BAP||Design of a Modular Data Acqusition Board.|
|2016||Andar Servo||Design and Manufacturing of a Eddy Current Damper for Aeorospace Application|
|2016||Andar Servo||Design and Manufacturing of a Brushless PM Servo Motor.|
|2015||Newton Fund Mobility Grant||Design of a superconducting wind turbine prototype.|
|2014–2016||TUBITAK 2232 Project||Design of modular and fault-tolerant generators for direct-drive wind turbines.|
|2011–2014||EU FP7 Project||Marina Platform Project is an EU FP7 project with 17 industrial and academic partners. I am working as a full-time researcher in the project, which aims to design combined wave and wind energy platforms. My duty is to compare different generator topologies and power take-off systems in terms of efficiency and reliability.|
|2013||United Arab Emirates Uni.||Design of a 5 kW permanent-magnet linear generator test rig.|
|2013||GE Power Conversion||A project to validate the superconducting generator topology that I developed during my PhD. General Electric supplied the superconducting coil and test facilities for the cryogenic tests.|
|2011||NGenTec||Design consultant for a medium-speed generator design. Electromagnetic optimization a 5 MW, 300 rpm permanent-magnet generator has been completed.|
|2010||NGenTec||Design and optimization of a 1 MW, 12 rpm direct-drive generator for a wind turbine. The machine has been manufactured and successfully tested.|
|2010||SMART R&D Grant||Design and testing of a 25 kW axial flux permanent-magnet generator. The experimental results have been used to evaluate the thermal performance of the generator and the cooling system.|
|2010||Hayward Tyler||Feasibility analysis of a submerged and flooded permanent-magnet generator. Thermal performance of the flooded generator has been investigated as well as the corrosion mechanisms and fluid drag losses.|
|2009–2010||NPower Project||The feasibility analysis of direct-drive PM generators for two wave energy converters (Aquamarine Power,AWS Ocean Power) and two tidal energy converters (Marine Current Turbines, Scotrenewables) have been investigated. An analytical and optimization tool is developed, and licensed by University of Edinburgh for further use.|
|2005–2008||METU||A novel method to estimate the rotor speed and position of an induction motor using the fringing flux out of the rotor cage is developed. An international patent has been awarded to this work.|
Middle East Technical University
For a full list of courses that I thought please visit my Courses webpage.
- EE281: Electric Circuits
- EE361: Electromechanical Energy Conversion-I
- EE362: Electromechanical Energy Conversion-2
- EE462: Utilization of Electrical Energy
- EE564: Design of Electrical Machines
- ID403: Collaborative Design Studio
University of Edinburgh
Power Engineering Lab (2nd year): This course introduces students to the techniques and equipment used in the generation, transmission, distribution and utilisation of electrical power.
Power Generation Lab (3rd year): The lab aims to give the students experience in working with rotating machines and power electronic equipment and synchronization to the grid.
- The Industrial Doctoral Centre for Offshore Renewable Energy (four-year EngD programme), “Introduction to Superconductivity and Superconducting Generators”.
|2011–Present||IEEE Power and Energy Society Member|
|2010–Present||UK Magnetics Society Member|
|2005–Present||TMMOB Electrical Engineers Society Member|
Honours & Awards
|2013||Staff Scholarship, University of Edinburgh.|
|2012||Young Researcher Support, International Conference on Superconductivity and Magnetism, ICSM.|
|2012-2013||Ph.D. Overseas fee waiver and stipend, University of Edinburgh.|
|2011||Young Researcher Award and Travel Grant, European Conference on Applied Superconductivity, EUCAS.|
|2011||IEEE Membership and Travel Grant, IEEE Power Electronics Society.|
|2011||Best Poster Award, IEEE International Electric Machines and Drives Conference, IEMDC.|
|2010||Best Paper Award, IEEE International Conference on Electrical Machines, ICEM.|
|2010-2012||Ph.D. Scholarship on Renewable Energy, Hopewell Holdings, Hong Kong.|
|2005–2007||Graduate Fellowship, TUBITAK.|
|2005||Ranked 2nd in the Academic Personnel and Graduate Education Exam (ALES).|
|2005||Finalist in the METU Entrepreneurship Competition (Yeni İşler Yeni Fikirler).|
|2001–2005||Dean’s high honour list (3 times), Dean’s honour list (3 times).|
Courses & Seminars
- [HPI], Design Thinking Workshop, 3 days, 2016.
- Aalto Design Factory, Design factory crash course, 2 days, 2015.
- Future Reliable Renewable Energy Conversion Systems, 4th Flagship Seminar, Chongqing, China, 2012.
- Supervising Postgraduate Research, Iain Davidson, 2013.
- Large-Scale Parallel Computing, University of Edinburgh, 2013.
- Superconducting Machines, UK Magnetics Society, University of Oxford, 2012.
- Thermal and Mechanical Aspects of High Performance Electrical Machines, UK Magnetics Society, 2011.
- LaTeX for scientific publications, Skills Development Edinburgh, 2010.
- Opera 2D/3D FEA Analysis of Electrical Machines, Cobham Ltd. Vector Fields, 2009.
- Marine and Tidal Energy Workshop, Industrial Problems in Marine Energy Workshop, 2009.
- Project Management for Researchers, Fistral Training & Consultancy Ltd., 2009.
- Project Presentation on International Venture Capital Forum, Athens, 2006.
- Project Management and Entrepreneurship Course, 30 days, METU Technopolis, 2005.
- Analysis: R, Matlab, C++, Python.
- FEA: ANSYS Maxwell, Comsol, Opera, FEMM.
- CAD: SolidWorks, AutoCad.
- Other: LaTeX, Github.
Activities & Hobbies
- Mountaineering: Active Member of METU Mountaineering Club
- Sailing: Dinghy and Yacht Sailing, (Certificate of Competence For Operators of Pleasure Craft).
- Blogging: asuyatuyolar.org, keysan.me/blog
- English (Fluent), Spanish (Intermediate), Chinese (Beginner)
For on going theses, please visit theses page.
- Melih Var, Improvement of the Electric Field Distribution in the Medium Voltage Gas Insulated Inductive Voltage Transformer, 2017
- Öztürk Şahin Alemdar, Design and Implementation of an Unregulated DC/DC Transformer Module Using LLC Resonant Converter, MSc Thesis, pdf version, 2016.
- Mario Recio Lara, Development of a mobile phone application to detect speed and faults of electrical machines, MSc Thesis, University of Edinburgh, 2013.
- Marzia Akbari, Comparison and control of power take-off systems for combined wind/wave energy platforms, MSc Thesis, University of Edinburgh, 2013.